The Moretti gallery is thrilled to have financially contributed to the first complete monograph on the 15th century artist and miniaturist, Bartolomeo della Gatta, a Camaldolese monk who was Florentine born and educated, but soon moved to Arezzo. It was there that he became one of the most original interpreters of Piero della Francesca. Between the 1470's and 1480's, the artist worked in many urban areas, including 'infra Tevere e Arno', from southern Tuscany to northern Umbria. Key moments of his career include his time at Federico di Montefeltro's court in Urbino and his participation, with Luca Signorelli, on the fifteenth century decoration of the Sistine Chapel, amongst other artists including Pietro Perugino and the Florentines Sandro Botticelli, Domenico Ghirlandaio and Cosimo Rosselli.
December 18, 2013